The potato storage experiment worked

Welcome back!

We have now started official spring weather. Hard to believe that a week ago we were at -10 C, with wind chill, and had 3″ of snow on the ground. Today and yesterday we have been at 23 C (plus) and the forecast is for temperatures in the teens and low single digits at night for the next few weeks.

In this week’s video, I want to share with you the results of an experiment that I started last year, with two Cara potatoes from the 2015 that I had stored in the refrigerator for the winter. A week and half ago I took the two Cara potatoes out of the box and then following a tip from Home Grown Veg, I put the potatoes into their own 4″ square pot and added in some compost and worm castings and then left them to see if they would start growing. Within 5 days the tops of new growth appeared at the top of each of the pots.

So today I am going to plant them out into a grow bag and leave them here, at home in the garden to grow onto maturity. I will have to see what size of crop I will get, but we will see as this is all part of the experiment.  The soil mix is Pro-mix for vegetable and herbs, some slow release fertilizer, fish bone meal, worm castings, and plus a small amount of Spanish River Carbonatite  (locally mined Ontario mineral mixture).

Thanks again to Home Grown Veg  for his great tips. Drop by his channel there is lots to learn.

Until next time, see you in the Garden!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s