Review of the Iron Fire Indexing Jig for your lathe

Welcome back
This week I am taking a look at a new indexing system I bought for my Delta 12″ lathe. The index system built into my , is a 24 pinned stop system  I had gotten an email from my local woodworking supply store about another type of indexing system that would add even more choices of stops. The jig is made by Iron Fire Innovations in the US.
Their website is  Check their website for all the jigs they make and other details.
What you get when you buy the jig is a quality plastic disc, a metal pin to use as your new index pin and the instructions on how to use and for making other pieces necessary for using the jig. To use the system, you must make two other components. A pin support and a platform to use for marking on your work. In the video I show you how I built both components and also another platform with a curved platform for marking around bowls and vases. I am sure you could build others to meet your indexing requirements. Also this would be a good starting point for routing or drilling designs on your turnings.
The jig is mounted over the threaded spindle on your head stock. In my case it seats on a flat portion of the spindle against the head stock. You use the pin they sent with the jig along with the pin support you make to set the indexing. The plastic jig goes on the spindle and then you put your lathe chuck on as normal. I have not done any work with the jig, but will be using it to add designs and maybe even some carvings or routing to my future turnings.
I hope you find this video informative. Again, visit the Iron Fire website for full details on jigs and use.

Until next time, see you in the Workshop!


Final potato reveals of 2015

Welcome back
Today I am doing the final reveal of the 2015 potatoes.  I am at home with a bag of Cara potatoes, whose seed potatoes originated many years ago from Ireland. I also have edited in the final 4 pots of potatoes  from the ranch, two pots each, of Amarosa and Shepody. From home Cara crop I got 4.6 lbs and each from the other potatoes from Craig’s had 4 lbs each. In total, I think we are at approx 40 lbs or so. This short of last years crop harvest, but still a good one based on the dry July and August.
I think I will do a recap video on the way things went this year and on the things we are going to change for next year. It is always fun to reflect back and see what was a success and what was a failure and then plan again for next season.
See you in the Garden!!

Turning gifts – seam ripper from a PSI kit using Bog Oak blank

Welcome Back!!
Well in this video I am turning a gift. It is a seam ripper and stiletto from a PSI kit. I am using a blank of Bog Oak that is according to the certificate sent with the blank, is approx 5,590 years old. The blank is fitted with the tube from the kit.For this turn I used a roughing gouge and 1/2″ spindle gouge to do the shaping. I finished this project with The Doctor’s Workshop Walnut Oil and Wax.

See you in the Workshop!



Rough turning a coffee tree bowl blank

Welcome Back!!
Well in this video I am turning a coffee tree bowl blank. I got this blank from my local wood supplier A&M Wood Specialty in Cambridge Ont. The blank is approx 6 1/4″ round and for the most part 4″ tall. It was covered in wood preserver by A&M staff. I paid $6.00 for the blank. I bought another blank which I that I hope to turn in month or so.
This is my first attempt at turning wet wood and I have learned quite a bit about tool presentation as well as making sure the tools are kept sharp. I have turned the blank down to approx 1″ thickness in the walls and base and I have put the bowl blank into the shavings for storage. I will leave the bowl for a couple months and see what happens.
See you in the Workshop!

Turning gifts – coffee scoop from PSI kit using an acrylic blank

Well in this video I am turning a gift. It is a coffee scoop from a PSI kit. I am using a blank of acrylic that I have on hand and not one of coffee bean blanks  as suggested in the kit. The blank is a normal size pen blank cut and fitted with the tube from the kit. I am not a pro turner, nor have I had much experience turning acrylic. It was a bit of a challenge choosing the coreect tools and I went through a few. In the end I mostly used a roughing gouge and skew for scraping. I finished the project with Huts Ultra Shine.

Until next time, take care, stay safe in your shop.

See you in the Workshop!